Monday, July 18, 2011

Rocky Mountain High 2011 Tour - Day 2

Two words: Alpine and Sickness. Two more words: Totally and Exhausted. I suspect I won't have as much to say today as yesterday, though the day was packed with fun.

The Holiday Inn where we stayed in Colorado Springs (near the airport) was nothing short of fabulous. The linens were out of this world and the bed was as comfy as my own. Those of you who know me well know that is saying a lot. When I leave home I have separation anxiety for my precious bed.

We slept a little late due to the short travel time to today's destination. Somehow we ended up with reservations at the regular Holiday Inn instead of Express so there wasn't a continental breakfast. We went to the sports bar downstairs and had a very expensive mediocre breakfast. Actually, I just think iWof wasn't that hungry because my Denver omelet wasn't that bad.

First we went to 'Garden of the Gods', a geologic upheaval that looks pretty darned cool. I would show you some pictures but that would require walking across the room to get my camera and I don't have another step in me. We walked all the trails looking at the rocks and watching nutbags climb the side of the cliffs. The tread on my shoes tells me we covered two miles or so in the scorching, nearly one hundred degree heat. Actually, iWof told me that.

After we left 'Garden of the Gods' we went to the entrance of the Pike's Peak road. The park ranger was a funny lady. First she told us to turn off the air conditioner because our engine would overheat on the climb. Then she said, 'It's 54 degrees at the top, it's really getting hot up at the summit.' I busted out laughing. Fifty-four degrees was hardly hot when it was a blistering 96 degrees at the bottom. She gave me credit for having a sense of humor, but still charged us 24 bucks to get in the park.

Of course by the time we got to the summit I was dizzy and had a banger headache. I took a few pictures, but mostly I wanted to sit down with my head between my knees. We didn't stay at the summit very long because iWof was afraid he would have to carry me to the car.

By the time we got back to Manitou I still felt like crap but at least I could walk. It was past time to check into our bed and breakfast. The place is on Spencer street. I wonder why iWof chose it. It is called Sunnymeade. Our room is the only room downstairs and it is decorated in Victorian with lots of antiques. It is unbelievably clean and comfortable with a private bathroom. Speaking of comfortable, I'm going to crash now.

So long, for now.

PS. I'm posting this a day late because it didn't have internet connection. Actually, the B&B had a wireless router, but I was too tired to find out the code.

No comments:

Post a Comment