Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Rocky Mountain High Tour 2011 - Day Whatever

Day whatever. (Oh, yeah, four.) I can't keep track of what day of the week it is at this point. Hopefully, when it is time to go back to work somebody will call and tell me. We are in Durango now. Who knows how we got here? I must have slept through it.

Let's see. We had a wonderful breakfast at the B&B in Canon City. She started with a fruit course, strawberries with home whipped topping garnished with mint. When she brought out the entree I died and went to heaven. There were two mini sausage links, egg mixed with cheese and baked in a form, but the center piece was French toast topped with pecan carmel glaze. I couldn't eat it all and it was a dying shame.

The food at B&Bs helps me get over the fact that I feel like I'm imposing in somebody's home. Both of the houses we stayed in were old Victorians decorated in period furnishing. Both were nicely appointed. But I couldn't get over the fact that I felt like a bull in a China closet. Last night I was totally paranoid that I would break the antique China soap holder. The soap kept sticking and the dish came off the counter every time I picked it up. But the room was nice and it had air conditioning so I was able to get some sleep.

This morning we headed toward Durango. We stopped in a little town called Salida at a grocery. Our lunchmeat had run out and the cheese was sticky from when iWof was getting drinks out of the cooler and left out the cheese. Once we were back on the road the only stop before lunch was a restroom break at a rest area. We arrived in Pagosa Springs just after noon and found a park to have lunch. It was right on the river. The temperature was in the 80s but there was nice breeze off of the mountains. We were quite comfortable eating our sandwiches, sans waxed paper, in the shade of a tall pine.

After the sandwich, chips, soda and orange sack lunch we wondered around for a bit before we decided it was heating up and we had enough nature for the day. Back on the road after miles of dry dusty terrain we were finally in some hilly region with green grass and trees. The trees were starting to get taller. The scenery was nice, but a nap seemed nicer. I put away my toys and passed out. We were rolling into Durango when I finally woke up.

The fire and rescue crew was here at the hotel when we arrived. (That happens at least once every vacation it seems.) I don't know what was going on because the truck was blocking my view and my main concern was finding the facility. I did discover that you can walk across the parking lot and see the river. We might get in some white water rafting after all. And we might consider strength training for the next year and coming back. A young couple from Boston at the B&B this morning had rafted the day before and they were feeling it.

After yet another nap (I could get used to this) we decided to wonder around for a while and check out the town. It is really a neat place. I could probably live here. They have a scrapbooking store. It was closed by the time we got there, of course.
We ended up eating at a Sushi/Oriental place. The food was great. My new favorite roll is called 'Surf and Turf'. We walked around downtown for a bit and found a Starbucks™. While we drank our coffee we listened to the band playing at the beer garden across the street. Then we wondered back to our room.

Tomorrow we are off to Mesa Verde. Then the day after that (whatever day that is) we have tickets to the Silverton/Durango train. We are taking a bus to Silverton and riding the train back. The bus trip should take an hour. It should take around three and a half hours for the train ride. I can drink a lot of wine in three and a half hours.

Speaking of wine, there is an Abbey in Canon City that the Father's turned into a vineyard in order to be self sufficient. They have the best riesling I've ever tasted. If you get a chance go on their web site (or check with the Vinery in downtown Jo Mo or Macadoodles....oh, right). We are probably going to bring some back with us. Sautéed pork chops and riesling from the Abbey, mmmmmmmm. And I'm not even hungry. I am however tired and dirty, so I'm off to soak in the tub.

So long for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment