Saturday, August 27, 2011

Summer, I'm Not Finished With You YET!


Summer is NOT over. Yeah, I know, we had to turn the pool heater back on, the kids went back to school, Walgreens reopened. But summer isn’t over. I will hold on to summer until I am dragged by my hair kicking and screaming into the first frost.

Because of the May 22nd tornado that kicked off summer around here, a lot of people are ready for this summer of clean up to be over. They are ready to move on to better times. I can’t blame them. But I’m not ready for the return of short dark days, SAD and cold that seeps into your bones and never lets up until the first dandelion. Summer is too short.

While everyone else was lamenting the 29 days we were 100 degrees or over, I was reveling in it. I know, I know. All of our utility bills were higher thanks to the heat. Flip flops were melting to pavement. Chickens were laying hard boiled eggs. The grass was burned to a flaky crisp. But it was summer glorious summer. And I love it. I do not want to say goodbye to my friend. I do not want to say goodbye to smaller wash loads due to smaller clothing. I do not want to say good bye to fresh cantaloupe. I do not want to say good bye to long lazy evenings floating on the pool and watching for shapes in the clouds. I am not ready to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment