Thursday, March 24, 2011

Valentine Fantasy - From the Archives

I know St. Valentine's day is long gone and Easter is looming, but I was digging around in the archives and found this little short short story, essay, whatever. There was a contest at a workshop where we were asked to write about our special Valentine. For the record, I didn't win. After you read it you will know why. Keep in mind this is a total fantasy. After you read it, you will know why.



I awoke St. Valentine’s morning to the sound of soothing music and the smell of bacon. Sitting on my bedside table was a tray with fresh squeezed orange juice, bacon, toast and the morning paper opened to the comics. After breakfast in bed my darling led me to the bathroom where the shower was warmed up and waiting for me. Energizing aromatherapy candles were lit on all the ledges. The room basked in a comforting glow.

As I stepped out of the shower I was wrapped in a big fluffy warmed towel. My sweetheart massaged my scalp while he toweled my hair dry. He stood and massaged my shoulders, neck and calves as I put on my makeup and teased my hair. When I was ready to leave he handed me a hot thermos of coffee, a rose and gave me a kiss that curled my toes.

All during the day I received sweet loving email notes from him reminding me not to work late because he had a romantic evening planned. Just after lunch a bouquet of Shasta Daisies arrived with a box of chocolate turtles. Inside the candy box was a gift certificate for a day at the spa.

At the end of the day when I arrived home from work, soothing romantic music was playing. The table was set for a candlelight dinner complete with the good china and linens. There was a bouquet of long stemmed red roses sitting in the center of the table. Rose petals were scattered in a trail from the door to my seat to lead me to a romantic dinner. We dined on perfectly grilled king crab and fist sized shrimp, fresh asparagus and sumptuous home made bread. He had chosen a bottle of wine that perfectly enhanced the flavor of the seafood.

When I couldn’t eat another bite he removed all the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. Then he cleaned the kitchen until it was spotless. As we were leaving the dining room hand in hand, he turned to say, ‘I love you’, but all that came out of his mouth was eeenennntt- eeenennntt- eeenennntt- eeenennntt- eeenennntt. It sounded strangely like my alarm clock……


Is this true? Are you kidding me? This all happened before I woke up.

No comments:

Post a Comment